It is crucial that all educational settings have an anti-bullying policy. A good anti-bullying policy will provide all staff, young people and parents with a shared understanding of what bullying is and how it will be tackled. It can also be useful to ask young people to produce a child-friendly, anti-bullying policy which can be displayed in a prominent position.
A model policy is included in Torfaen Anti-bullying Guidance and Policy for Education Settings 2014 – 2107. The main headings are provided below:
- Values and Ethos Statement
- Objectives and desired outcomes of policy
- Named person
- Definition of bullying and bullying behaviour
- Prevention – reducing the frequency of bullying
- Reaction – responding effectively to reported incidents of bullying
- Development and review
A copy of Torfaen Anti-bullying Guidance and Policy for Educational Settings 2014-2017 can be found here.