Reporting bullying

Telling an adult in charge about the bullying is the best way to put a stop to it. Working with them will make it easier to find a solution that works.

Reporting bullying in a school or youth setting

If you wish to make an allegation of bullying, it is important to:

  • Stay calm and arrange a meeting with the school or youth setting
  • Discuss the issue and look through their anti-bullying policy
  • Support your child and work with the school or youth setting to stop the bullying

Schools and youth settings should record and investigate all allegations of bullying and you should be kept informed. If you are not satisfied, you can complain by speaking to a teacher, the head teacher or writing to the school governors. You can also speak to the adult in charge of a youth setting or write to the manager.

In some circumstances, the NYAS (National Youth Advocacy Service) (0800 616101) may be able to provide confidential legal advice and representation.

Reporting bullying in the community

If your child is being bullied in the community (e.g. the park or in the neighborhood) tell the Police. For contact details, see where can I find support? page.

Keeping your own record

It can also be useful to keep your own record of who is doing what and when because this will help the adult in charge sort it out quickly. Some children and young people also find it helpful to keep a diary of what is happening. You can download an example diary here.